The study of Design Technology is a stimulating and enjoyable experience. Many students recognise that technology is an essential aspect of their curriculum and appreciate the challenge of the design process.
Design Technology offers students the chance to be creative, to solve complex problems using a variety of materials and methods and to develop practical skills and knowledge. It is an unique and educationally valid component in the college curriculum.
- To enable students to develop a high level of skill in both designing and making.
- To provide and maintain a modern, attractive, well equipped environment for students to work.
- To develop positive working relationships between students and staff.
- To maintain a safe working environment for both students and staff.
- To encourage students to take responsibility for their own learning.
- To encourage the development of equal opportunities within Design Technology.
- To increase motivation and a feeling of success, enjoyment and achievement among students and staff.
- To give learners access to a variety of teaching and learning styles.
- To develop the use of Information Technology within Design Technology.
- To develop links with outside organisations including Industry, Primary feeder schools, Further education establishments and other relevant bodies.
- To ensure progression in knowledge and skills.
- To regularly appraise the delivery and content of the curriculum.
- To provide a curriculum which is suitable for all ability ranges.
- To reward and actively encourage success and achievement at all levels.
- To enable pupils to;
- Participate in tomorrow-s rapidly changing technologies.
- Think and intervene creatively to improve the quality of life.
- Become autonomous and creative problem solvers.
- Work as individuals and members of a team.
- Identify needs, wants and opportunities and respond to them by developing a range of ideas and making products and systems.
- Combine practical skills with an understanding of aesthetics, social and environmental issues, function and industrial practices.
- Reflect and evaluate present and past design and technology, its uses and effects.
- Become discriminating and informed users of products.
AND BECOME INNOVATORS!!!