Key stage 4 Design Technology learning opportunities
Students in years 10-11 have the opportunity to choose from a suite of subjects which come under the broad term of Design Technology. All qualifications, offered are either GCSE courses or Level 1-2 courses which are GCSE equivalents and give learners the best opportunity to achieve at the highest level due to the syllabus chosen.
Current options include GCSE Engineering, Resistant materials and Food Technology and NCFE craft (resistant materials) and Food and cookery. Additional qualifications delivered by the teaching team are OCR Level 1-2 Child development and GCSE Health & Social Care.
Edexcel GCSE in Resistant Materials
Studied by Year 11 students
Students of the Edexcel GCSE in Resistant Materials will learn the skills to design and make products with materials such as wood, metal and plastics, using a range of industrial processes to shape and form materials into functioning products.
The Resistant Materials Technology qualification enables students to:
- actively engage in design and technology
- make decisions, consider sustainability and combine skills with knowledge and understanding in order to design and make quality products
- explore ways in which aesthetic, technical, economic, environmental, ethical and social dimensions interact to shape designing and making
- analyse existing products and produce practical solutions to needs, wants and opportunities, recognising their impact on quality of life
- develop decision-making skills through individual and collaborative working
- understand that designing and making reflect and influence cultures and societies, and that products have an impact on lifestyle
- develop skills of creativity and critical analysis through making links between the principles of good design, existing solutions and technological knowledge.
How the course is assessed?
There are two different assessment types:
- Unit one worth 40% a two-hour terminal examination
- Unit two worth 60% a piece of controlled assessment which examine both design ability and manufacturing skill.