Manor Academy

Achievement, Engagement and Enjoyment.

Free School Meals


The Education Act of 2001 (as amended and consolidated by subsequent legislation) states that:

A Local Authority should provide a free school meal for a person registered as a student and whose parents/carers receive any of the following support payments:

  • Income Support (IS)*
  • Income Based Jobseekers Allowance (IBJSA)*
  • Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) Income Related
  • Child Tax Credit, provided they are not entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual income (as assessed by HM Revenue & Customs) that does not exceed £16,190
  • Guaranteed State Pension Credit
  • Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
  • When you are in receipt of ‘Working Tax Credit’ during the four-week period immediately after your employment ceases or after you start to work less than 16 hours per week.Please call the Benefits Section on 01429 284188 for advice.

* Please note that children who receive IS or IBJSA in their own right are also eligible to receive free school meals.

There are two types of Job Seekers Allowance:

  • Income based Job Seekers
  • Contribution Based Job Seekers

Only parents/carers receiving Income Based Job Seekers will be eligible to receive free school meals for their children.

Parents/carers receiving Contribution Based Job Seekers Allowance or Working Tax Credit are not eligible to receive free school meals.

The LEA has no discretionary powers to award or back date free school meals. Applications must be assessed in accordance with the statutory legislation.

Help The Academy

If your child is eligible for free school meals, it’s worth registering them. This is because schools receive a ‘Pupil Premium’ – an extra payment for each eligible child which they can spend on useful services.

How To Claim

The quickest way to apply for free school meals is to make a telephone application by contacting the Benefits Section at Hartlepool Borough Council on 01429 284188.


you can make your claim for Free School Meals through Jobcentreplus.


you can collect a paper application form from the Academy or the Civic Centre.

Applicants should forward the completed application form to:

Civic Centre
Victoria Road
TS24 8AY